Friday, March 11, 2011

Lydia's Arrival

Hello fellow bloggers and blog readers! Thank you so much for rejoicing with us at this special time in our lives. We are SO happy to have Lydia here, and it's so fun to share our joy with you! Lydia's arrival was a special event, and so I am excited to record how everything happened.

On Monday I went walking for hours with my in-laws, and I finished up by eating a spicy burrito doused--nay, drenched--in tabasco sauce, all in the hopes that these efforts would yield some real labor pains. To my dismay, at the end of the day, I felt great. Not a pang in sight. Sorely disappointed, I retired to bed at 1am.

One hour later, I woke up with some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. It was too good to be true! In between contractions, I felt so great that I doubted whether I was experiencing the real deal, but an hour later we went to the hospital. Abe kept assuring me I was in labor, but I didn't believe him until the doctor at the hospital told me that after a mere hour of contracting at home I was already 5 cm dilated! How very exciting.

By that time, the pain was so bad that I was begging for an epidural and vomiting everywhere. Abe's favorite part to tell occurred right after I threw up all over the place. He brought us two cans of ginger ale and was just about to open his when I insisted that was wasteful and that he share mine. It didn't occur to me at the time how gross my request was, but he dutifully complied. What a husband!

Abe had to leave the room for the hour that it took for them to put the IV and epidural in. (He faints at the sight of needles.) It took exceptionally long because I kept moving around when I was supposed to be sitting still, and at one point, I doubted they would get the epidural inserted in time. The nurse had the same concern; she called in a bunch of people right before they finally got the epidural in because she thought I was about to start pushing. 

Finally, they got the epidural in. After that point, labor turned from agonizing to AWESOME. Really--after I stopped feeling pain, I was overcome with excitement. We had such a great team of nurses, and the room was charged with anticipation and joy. I could not wait to meet Lydia, and I couldn't keep myself from grinning nonstop. At one point, one of the nurses told me to stop smiling while I was pushing because I needed to focus all of my muscle energy on the pushes--but I couldn't stop! It was too wonderful to know I was about to meet my daughter.

Plus, I was pretty much in love with everyone in the room. The nurse who helped me through the epidural process stayed 2 hours after her shift ended so that she could help me through pushes and meet Lydia. One of the other nurses just happened to be my old Sunday School teacher from my days at the First Presbyterian Church of Evanston--and she regaled me with tales about my dad and brother between pushes. The other med students in the room were so enthusiastic, our doctor was amazing, and, of course, Abe was the best support team/cheerleader ever. I felt so happy to bring Lydia into the world surrounded by such a wonderful collection of lovely people!

And I could still move around and feel the pressure of contractions, so pushing was a great experience. At one point, the doctor gave me a pep talk and told me I could have Lydia out in five minutes or two hours--depending on how hard I pushed. Two contractions and five minutes later, she was out!

She is beautiful. Her head was so full of hair that the doctor and nurses joked that they would start braiding between pushes. She looks like a little surfer baby because her dark brown hair has light brown highlights at the tips. So cute! And we can't tell what color her eyes are; they look grey/blue, but I think they will change. She was 7 lbs 9 oz, and 20 1/4 inches long. Yay for not birthing a 10 pound baby!! She is just adorable, and even though she is every bit as vocal as Abe and I expected (having both been quite vocal ourselves when we were her age), we are in love with her.

Here is a picture of Abe calming Lydia:
And when Lydia first came out:
We have more pictures, but at the moment I can't access them. (I have been up all night with Lydia, and I finally figured out that the bassinet isn't working. The only thing to do is keep her with me if I hope to have her sleep. So she's sleeping in front of me while I type away; I am scared to fall asleep with her in the bed until I learn more about co-sleeping from the doctor.)

She is having her newborn pics taken this weekend, so hopefully next week we'll have a deluge of Lydia shots!

21 comments:

  1. Your baby is so cute!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia is truly gorgeous. I am so proud of you Lily and inspired by your attitude toward labor and birth! Thanks for sharing your story - I hope things go as well for us. Congratulations from both me and Micah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. She is beautiful. Enjoy these next few weeks, they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, she is gorgeous!!! There were not enough pictures on here! Congratulations, you're going to love having that baby in your arms for years and years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! She is an absolute doll. I found it funny that the music didn't make it into the birth story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I'm assuming you were throwing up Tabasco-drenched burrito. YES!

    I'm happy for you. That top photo is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL :) LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily, she is absolutely breathtaking!!! Congratulations to you and Abe! I can't wait to see more pictures! Love you1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea congratulations she is so beautiful and what a great story I am tearing up here! Lily I love you and your always smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is SOOOOO beautiful!! Can't wait to see more pics!

    You done good, Mommy!! We're so happy for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lily she is simply beautiful! Yay for a great and timely delivery. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for you. Xitlali still sleeps on me at night and doesn't fall asleep unless she's in Daddy, Mommy or ms maria's (nanny) arms. I sleep propped up, and she's basically nursing herself to sleep and then once asleep eventually lets go of the breast and sleeps in my arms/across my belly. Sometimes we can move her to Ramon's arms, or into her stroller or swing--usually though, she'll only sleep for long periods of time on mommy. Lots of interrupted sleep when she wakes to nurse, but small price to pay for her sleeping 3-4 hrs a time if on me versus only 2 hrs at a time if not on me. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Lily! Motherhood is the most wonderful experience - enjoy every moment of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful little baby! You will be a great mom! I'm happy for your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why, thank you, everyone! Lydia, Abe and I are so touched by your sweet comments and congratulations. Thank you for making Lydia's arrival to the world so warm and welcoming! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! She is so beautiful and chubby (or maybe swollen... I can't tell). You are so silly -- conversing with everyone and smiling. I can absolutely imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lydia is SO beautiful, Lily & Abe!! Some newborns take a little while to develop their cuteness, but not Lydia... She's such a beauty!!! As for the co-sleeping, here's another option to add to the other two I tried to explain (hope the explanations made sense): http://www.armsreach.com/ It's a co-sleeper that hooks up to the side of your bed. Dr. Sears supports it (if you're a Dr. Sears fan, like myself). You can touch Lydia while you lay in bed, pick her up easily to nurse in bed, etc. I haven't tried this myself (just co-sleeping with Colton between me and Brooks in our bed, with separate blankets & Colton burritoed in his own blanket) but it seems like another good/safe way to co-sleep. There are two sizes: the "mini" and original, with lots of different styles. (Not cheap though.) Good luck! You can do it!!! Lydia loves you so much, she still thinks she's a part of you! :) Congrats again, Mama!! And P.S. I LOVE the photo of Abe using the Shh-ing, etc.! :) Lydia looks very happy in her Daddy's arms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lily was a true star in the labor process and we are so grateful to have Lydia! The ginger ale still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited for you two! Can't wait to meet Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I loved reading your story. You have such a positive outlook on life and I'm so happy your baby is here! She is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete