Tuesday, March 1, 2011

waiting

I was rereading some of my recent blog entries, and it's remarkable how many start with, "It's [some absurd hour of the night] and I can't sleep, so I'm blogging instead." This one is no different. I got up to go to the bathroom at 3:15 am, and that was the end of my good night's sleep. I lay in bed with my head nestled in Abe's armpit for the better part of an hour; finally I gave in and got up. Nothing to do but play online scrabble and blog.

Can I just say, without my family and friends, I would be a miserable wreck right now. But every day, the beautiful people around me remind me that, despite my super swollen ankles/face/fingers/feet, my perpetually aching pelvis, and my burgeoning bump (which, according to the doctor, currently houses a SEVEN pound baby!!), life is still good.

Take yesterday. My dear friend Randee rescued me from the Monday blues by coming over and taking me to the Lake County dog park. This dog park is a huge meadow and forest preserve that makes you feel like you've completely left the city behind. When Randee pulled up, her smiling face and Sherman's wagging tail immediately brightened my day. She was test driving a mini cooper, and so our drive to the dog park was quite exciting.

Once we got to the park, everyone had fun. The whole ground was solidly iced, but that didn't stop Sherman! In thirty quick seconds, he had a coterie of doggy friends following him happily around the meadow, and he had a blast outpacing them all in vigorous games of fetch. If his happy form hadn't been so beautiful to watch, I would have been jealous of his agility and speed. I tried to take pictures, but they didn't capture the pure joy expressed by the body of a dog in top form.

Randee and Sherman exchanging smiles

Sherman running after a ball. In his enthusiasm for the sport, he has left his new friends waaaaaaaay behind.
 After the dog park, Randee gave me this sweet outfit for Lydia to wear home from the hospital. I love it, and I love its little message! Even now when I look at it, I feel encouraged. Lydia is definitely worth the wait.

After the dog park, Clark and I went to go get Indian food. The hope was all the spices would help induce labor, but so far that hasn't worked. Sunday night I was up until 3am experiencing false contractions. They were so close together that I got super excited and thought I might actually be going into labor...but, sadly, they stopped. As they dropped off in frequency, I started praying and explained to God why it would be advantageous to all parties involved if Lydia made her splashdown right away, but then it occurred to me that maybe God was holding off sending Lydia for Abe's sake. I rolled over and asked Abe suspiciously whether there was any good reason for him for Lydia to be born later, and he reluctantly replied that he had to teach a class Tuesday, and that it would be better if she were born after that class.

Dang it! I rolled back over and told God I would wait until after Abe's class, but after that I fully expected some divine cooperation in getting Lydia to earth sooner rather than later. She's already more than seven pounds, and if we wait around much longer, I could be birthing a pretty big baby. So my new prayer is that she'll be born later tonight--after Abe's class.

Her head is so low that for the past couple weeks, the doctor has had to push it out of the way in order to figure out how dilated I am. There's nothing like sitting through a third trimester doctor's exam to make you feel like a farm animal. I sit there, legs wide apart, grimacing and breathing hard while the doctor exclaims over and over about how incredibly low her head is and how he has to shove it out of the way to get to the cervix. Good times, good times. But, as Randee's onesie says, Lydia is worth the wait!

If you have extra room in your prayers, you can feel free to join me in praying that the wait ends SOON. =)

9 comments:

  1. I can TOTALLY relate to feeling like a farm animal... Sebastian dropped around 30 weeks which made for some very uncomfortable doctor's exams! I hope, for your sake, she comes soon!!

    P.s. Random question, but whatever happened to Lulu? Do you still have her?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shandi! Lulu has a new home with my cousins. They have four kids, a big home and an enormous yard--so she is much happier there. I miss her a lot though! Sherman was her best doggy friend before the big move to my cousins. I can still see her, though, so that's good. How is Sebastian getting along with Piper, and what kind of dog is Piper again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wait will be over before you know it! I can't wait to read your mommy blog posts. Good luck with all things labor and delivery! I hope it is a wonderful experience for you and that Lydia decides to come see her mommy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kristi! I hope so too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has Lydia been sitting low the whole time? That's probably the number two comment I get, he's so low!! Even when the Dr looks for his heart he always has to look super low!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, I honestly don't know. The doctor only mentioned it a couple weeks ago when he tried to check me and yelped that the baby had completely dropped and her head was right there. I don't know what low or high would look like, so it's possible she's been low this whole time and I just didn't know! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace, I am excited for you! You must post some pics of your home improvement work soon. Your youtube clip was so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Miller has BIG HANDS. That is the only downside to him being your OB :) When I have gone in to the hospital (once in labor) and some female resident checks my dilation, I have always been amazed at how easy it was with someone who has smaller hands. Maybe TMI for a blog comment, but who cares :)

    Also - I went into labor with Charlie after having lunch at Wholly Frijoles in Lincolnwood... I think that spicy yummy salsa really got things going. Just an idea for Monday if things haven't progressed... :) It's always fun to go out to eat anyway!

    ReplyDelete