Monday, March 21, 2011

breast is best (??)

A welcome to motherhood is really a welcome to the moist and soggy world of breastfeeding. Feeding my baby is so much harder than I ever imagined! Two days ago, my lack of skill in the breastfeeding department became sadly apparent when, at the end of one session, I realized everything--everything--was soaked in milk. There was milk in my hair, milk in Lydia's hair, milk all over my bra, milk on two separate wash cloths, milk slathered on both of our bodies, milk on the chair, and (the final indignity) one last milk stream squirted directly up Lydia's nose. Clearly, I need to work on aim.

Things are getting better, though. Sarah (who took Lydia's pictures) lent me her "My Breast Friend," and this handy device has revolutionized our breastfeeding sessions. My Breast Friend is a nursing pillow that you strap onto your waist. I had tried regular pillows and a Boppy (another kind of nursing pillow), but nothing works nearly as well as My Breast Friend. The only downside to this marvelous device is the visual effect; waddling around the house with a giant pillow strapped around my waist, bare chested and still large with pregnancy fat, I look kind of like a hippo in a tutu. My mom, Abe, and I now routinely refer to My Breast Friend as "the tutu." It's just so apt.

The sad part is that I am beyond the point of caring. Lydia needs to be fed every 2-3 hours (I have been pushing it to every 3-4 for the sake of my sanity and sleep), and so when the time comes around for me to shove a nipple in her mouth, I could care less about how I look in the process. My mind zones in with autistic like concentration on how fast or slow (usually slooooooooooow) Lydia is sucking and how long the session will last. Sometimes, for a break in the monotony, I will monitor the tree outside my window for buds and birds. So far, no buds--but there are more and more birds every day. Spring is coming!

And, thankfully, all of this feeding means Lydia is growing! She lost more than 10% of her birth weight before my milk came in, and when I took her to the pediatrician for her first check-up, the pediatrician told me Lydia was dehydrated. I felt terrible. Even worse, the pediatrician told me I would need to supplement with formula to get Lydia back up to speed. I went home feeling like a truly bad mother; I couldn't believe my baby hadn't been getting enough to eat!

Upon returning home, the first thing I did was rip off my shirt and start feeding Lydia. I stared morosely at the bottle of formula next to the bed but couldn't bring myself to use it at first. I just looked at it and felt bad about myself and the whole situation. It took an actual spiritual prompting before I finally reached over and fed Lydia the formula--and then, magically, she calmed down and proceeded to sleep for FOUR hours. That was the first time she'd ever done that. I was a convert. This stuff was great!

Except. Except. I want to breast feed. I really do, and I want Lydia to get the benefits of breast milk. It is just SO exhausting. Last night I was up until 1am completing a feeding that started at 11:30pm, and then I got up at 3am to start a feeding that didn't end until almost 4:30am. As I type this, I'm eying the clock and noticing that I have less than 2 hours until Lydia's next feeding. I can finish this blog, write some of the 25 thank-you cards that still need to be written, shower, eat breakfast, change the laundry, clean the kitchen, OR go back to bed. I think, thanks to my overworked breasts, the bed just might win this one.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you for breastfeeding! Seriously, it gets SO much better - keep at it. They stop eating quite so frequently, and it is just so wonderful - I honestly love nursing now.

    On another note, the bed SHOULD win over showering, cleaning, writing thank you cards, etc.!

    You're doing an awesome job, Lily! Love to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is hard work.

    I have a voracious little barracuda of a baby who sucks until my poor nipples start throbbing and burning (those books that tell you breastfeeding doesn't hurt when a baby is latched correctly aren't always right!) every 1.5-2 if she's awake.

    4 hours is only if she's sleeping, which is not for me personally unless sleeping on top of me at night, intermittently sucking.

    BUT... she's super healthy, and growing fat, and is so active and soo engaged in everything. How can I give her something made in a factory just so she'll sleep longer and I can feed her less?

    So I breastfeed all the hours I'm home, and at work my double electric pump comes out at least three times in my 9-12 hr workday to keep up. Even though that means I'm sitting in my office with the door shut with a milking machine attached to my chest as I work for about an hour a day. Even though on weekends I'm hiding semi-exposed in the back seat of the car when parked, nursing her just before we go to grocery shop because she won't make it through a full store without hunger pains otherwise. (Since breastmilk is easily digestible and not full of empty calorie sweetener, synthetic vitamins, and chemical preservatives it always goes right through).

    You can do it Lily. I know you can. It's not easy. It gets better.

    Let the rest of your to-do list go. Its three months for me, and not all the thank you cards are written. Things don't get cleaned. Food is convenience food, and I try to sleep/nap/doze when the baby does. Even so, its exhausting!

    In a few more weeks Lydia will be bigger and will be amused by her mobile/bouncer/swing/baby gym for a whole 15-20 minutes out of your arms but nearby, and then you can be productive.
    I co-sleep so when she wakes at night I barely have to move to give her milk. And yes, I too, have woken in a milk puddle.

    I hear tell that eventually feeding routines become better established as they get older, and when sleeping through the night at around 4 months onward they also need fewer feedings.

    If the process itself is problematic--I did a session with a lactation consultant, and it helped X & I get started off.

    And on days you're feeling there's nothing in it for you, remind yourself, breastfeeding is burning about 500 calories a day extra and it's no harder than dieting would be to lose the weight :) Your hippo will lose her fat easier by feeding the fat to the baby--that's what its stored for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great, Lily! Yes, breastfeeding can be a huge strain, especially for the first child. I remember with Autumn trying to get her to latch for an hour or more in the middle of the night until she fell asleep exhausted without having eaten a thing!

    But it is so great for both of you, and if you can make it through this one, it does make it easier with subsequent children (your milk comes in waaaay faster). Take advantage of every lull to sleep and eat - everything else can wait. And if you get bored while she eats, I've found it a great time to read a book - it makes it so I don't mind middle of the night feedings so much if I can sneak in a little more time with a really good story! :)

    But you've got a great cheering section, and I promise it will get easier. In the grand scheme of things, the hardest part of nursing usually lasts 6 weeks max, and you put up with 9 months of pregnancy, so you can do this! :) Just getting through the first two weeks is an accomplishment, no matter how it all turns out.

    Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lily!
    I have BEEN THERE! Exactly there. Just like everyone said...hang in there, it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop. Right. There. Do NOT worry about anything else than keeping your baby fed and keeping yourself sane and rested--seriously. I didn't get Thank You cards out from my shower that took place almost a month before Kendra was born until she was at least 2 months old, and nobody cared or got offended (and I was even able to include fun snapshots with them, it was great).

    And honey...hang in there. I think we're all shocked by how difficult breastfeeding is. I LOVE My Breast Friend--terrible name, amazing product. And don't feel guilty for supplementing--it doesn't reflect on your abilities as a mother in any way, shape or form. You are doing an AMAZING job!!

    Seriously, you are.

    Hang in there, I'll add you to my own prayers for smooth breastfeeding (yep, I've been praying for my own breastfeeding almost this entire pregnancy and he's not due for another two and a half months--I also asked Grant to join me--that's how rough it was the first time).

    So much Love to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you, all, for your sweet and positive comments! I feel so encouraged to know other people have been there and have overcome. The feedings are getting a little better (in kind of a one step forward, two steps back sort of way) but we're still trying. Also, Ashley, I will happily pray that your baby boy turns out to be a great feeder. =) Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ever read or listen to books on tape while you feed Lydia?

    ReplyDelete