Saturday, November 6, 2010

painting day


This is Abe hard at work painting Lydia's windowsills. The smile you see is forced. Because he is a textbook perfectionist, the task took him no less than nine hours. (There were a grand total of two windowsills in the room.) At hour number eight, he summoned me in the room for my opinion. To me, the windows looked great! I was anxious for him to be done so I could indulge in some of my lazier hobbies; I felt really guilty blog-stalking in bed while my husband spent his day off working hard on the baby's room. (To my small credit, I could not help with the paint job because the paint fumes in our paint have been known to cause birth defects.) But when I expressed my enthusiasm for his good work, he interrupted me. "Oh, look!" he exclaimed, distraught. "Do you see that spot?"

"What spot?" I asked, trying hard to see what he was pointing at.

"That spot," Abe said, pointing more specifically. I still didn't see it.

"Ummm..."

It didn't matter. He was already back at the window painting over imaginary spots. Did I mention I'm married to a perfectionist? Needless to say, the windows look fabulous, and Abe is now completely exhausted. He is currently winding down by playing Plants Vs. Zombies, and the sound effect of zombies saying "braaaaiins, braaaiins" makes for surprisingly soothing ambient noise as I type away.

We went to the temple this morning, and afterward Abe turned to me and told me that he'd gotten a spiritual impression to listen to General Conference while he painted today. His original plan involved watching the Utah vs. TCU game on TV, so when he got the impression to listen to General Conference instead, his heart sank just a little. But he was good and did what he felt was right--and in the end, Utah got destroyed by TCU, so Abe came out way more uplifted than if he had stuck with plan A. Yay for going to the temple and for spiritual guidance -- especially when that involves eschewing sports on TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment