Monday, November 1, 2010

cute overload (as promised in a previous post)

So we found out on Thursday that we're having a girl! I shed tears of joy upon hearing the news. All of my American Girl collection finally put into good use again! I knew there was a reason an entire closet of precious storage space is devoted to my dolls. Woo-hoo!

During the ultrasound, the technician kept pointing out all of our baby's various body parts (the feet were exceptionally cute and exciting), but I was anxious to find out the gender. At one point, I pointed at the baby's head and asked if that meant it was a girl. The technician got the hint (thank goodness) and switched to an image of our baby's bottom. When she pointed out the lack of equipment between the legs, I started bawling. I spent the next couple hours envisioning myself playing dress up and dolls with my daughter [insert sigh of contentment here].

I've also had my daughter's name picked out since I was in grade school. Lydia! I am named after my Aunt Lydia, but my parents used her nickname (Lily) instead of her given name. I've always loved my almost-name, and I determined at a young age to use it for my own offspring. And, because my mom's middle name is Anne (and because I am a huge Anne of Green Gable fan), her middle name is Anne. So: Lydia Anne Darais. I can't wait to meet her, especially since her current living situation is less than ideal--at least for me.

In the meantime, I continue to enjoy our calling as Sunbeams teachers. The little kids give us so much to look forward to! On Friday we hosted a Halloween party for the Sunbeams, and they were adorable.

 


Two of the boys are twins, and they charged into our apartment decked out as a knight and Darth Vader. The knight, Spencer, announced in a large voice that he was a very brave knight. Abe took him into a room where we had set up a "spider cave" and asked him if he thought he was brave enough to crawl through it. Spencer took one look at the cave and said in a somewhat smaller voice, "I'm not brave like that."Abe and I have been laughing ever since.

The other sunbeam teachers, Betsy and Micah, came over and saved the day by providing spectacular food and really fun activities (including the apple faces that the kids are proudly holding up in their pictures). Betsy made a to-die-for steak chili and cut out little Halloween shapes out of cheese, and then she garnished it all with perfectly shaped, handmade ghost chips--eye holes and all. Their Fantastic Mr. and Mrs. Fox costumes were also handmade--can you believe Betsy made those tails and ears herself?
 
Abe and I were cookies and milk for Halloween. The picture is kind of dark, but it does a good job hiding my frizzy hair. (I hadn't brushed it all day because I was so busy getting ready for the party.)


Speaking of party preparations, I could not have done it without my friend, Jennifer. She had originally agreed to come over to face paint for the kids, but then I ran into her around noon at CVS while I was doing some last minute party shopping. She offered to help me for the rest of the day, and for the next NINE hours she labored intensively, cleaning, decorating, creating handmade pumpkin awards for the kids, and generally ensuring I didn't lose my mind during party prep. Thank you, Jennifer!

6 comments:

  1. Awwwww, congratulations!! I'm thrilled for you two and your little girl! Little girls are wonderful and you'll be surprised just how early she'll get into those American Girl dolls!

    And what a fun Halloween party! Love that coupled costume! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Girls (and boys) are tons of fun and you will have a blast with her. Love the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! Within 8 months, both of the good baby names have been snatched from my grasp! I've always wanted to name one of my girls lily, but now we have a lily - you :]. So i thought lydia would do. Hahaha, ironic that you chose that name. BUT, I'm okay with this. Why? I have yet to be married. So if I do choose to name one of my kids either of those names, they will have a different last names.
    I'm excited for you!
    I call holding her first at our next family get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the name Lydia! So darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YAY! Thanks for posting the pictures. Bless those adorable kids for making the idea of having children not so intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Lydia! I love American Girl dolls! I love yoooooooouuuu!!!!!!

    --Auntie Sav

    ReplyDelete