Thursday, February 17, 2011

Future Daddy

This is Abe again.  I felt a strange itch to blog again.  Lily and I just got back from a "caring for newborns" class.  It was very insightful for me.  I think most of it was review for Lily.  She has had a lot more time than me to read books about baby care.  But for me, a lot of this stuff was new!  I learned how to change a diaper, how to burp a baby, how to bathe a baby and even how to put a shirt on a baby.  Looks like I'm ready to be a dad!!!...........well, at least I have a few more logistics figured out.  The truth is, though, that I am still very intimidated by the task at hand.  There is so much that goes into being a parent, and I feel sometimes like I barely get by as it is.   Still, I know for sure that God will help us raise little Lydia in the way He wants us to.  I am so happy that Lily has had so much time to read and think about how best to raise our baby.  It really is a blessing that she can be so informed since I am so often tied up at work. I've also been distracted because I've spent a lot of time recently deciding about whether or not to follow-through on my plans to go to grad-school.  I've already taken the GRE and the decision to go into academia is a monumental shift from corporate America.  So between brooding about that, working excessive hours and just trying to stay on top of life in general, I've been swamped!!  By the way, I did decide that I am going to stick with corporate America.  The decision process was long and labored, but it feels good to have made a decision, and I feel good about what I decided.  I hope now I can turn my attention to something far more important which is pondering what kind of father I want to be.  Lily has so many wonderful thoughts and ideas for raising Lydia.  It's about time I start crystallizing some of my parenting philosophies so that she and I can have a truly meaningful exchange about how to parent.  I am excited to parent with her!!  She is going to be such a good mom.  It's already clear how much she loves Lydia and how much she wants for her.  I already know that Lily will make any sacrifice required to bless her daughter and I am so grateful that Lydia has the mother she does. 

I got to be honest though, responsibility aside, I am just beside myself with how much fun I think having a baby will be.  I intend to just have a blast .  It is going to lots of laughs, priceless photos, hilarious stories and just cuteness all around.  It will be just a complete blast.  I think the fun I anticipate will be a great counterbalance to the great responsibility I feel.  It will be challenging sure, but even more I'm going into it expecting lots and lots of joy. 

I don't know what else to report.  Lily is getting close to the due date.  She is in a lot of pain....a lot of pain and I do what I can to help soothe her. Despite her discomfort, she still goes out of her way to do sweet things for me. She made me filet mignon on Valentines day and I felt so loved. The steak was ammmaazing. I even had leftovers two days later that were equally satisfying.  That happened to be a really hard day for me, but I just kept going through my day saying, "How can I complain? I had filet mignon for breakfast."  It's no joke, Lily is just the best wife ever.

I had something special all planned out for her over the weekend, and to make a long story short, my special surprise for her just fell through.  It stinks feeling like you want to show your love to the most meaningful person in your life, and then having those plans collapse.  We do, however, have a long weekend.  Lily was so understanding about the plans not turning out and it made me realize that simple and sweet time together is what she wants more than anything anyway.  Honestly, it's my favorite thing too.  No frills. No fancy plans.  No expectations.  Just a quiet day or two to kick around with my favorite pal and to just be together for the first time in.......well, I'm not sure when the last free time was.

Lily gets embarrassed when I go on about how wonderful she is...........so I'll just end by saying this marriage continues to be the best thing that ever happened to me.  Sometimes I get glimpses on just how weak and flawed I really am and I just feel grateful to live with someone who truly reciprocates my love.  I still have a lot of holes, but she loves me so I count myself as blessed.

4 comments:

  1. It is SO intimidating to become a parent! But I was truly awed going through the experience to realize just how wise Heavenly Father is. First, you have NINE MONTHS to prepare and to wrap your brain around it--that's pretty close to a whole year. Then, when the moment finally arrives, you don't have to know how you're going to handle x, y and z moral dilemmas and teaching them right and wrong...for the first little while ALL you have to do is love that baby and keep it alive and clean. And the need for all those things you spent nine months worrying about come gradually over time.

    Sometimes I look at nature and I'm jealous at all the animals that have babies who just start walking and are totally fully functioning right out of the womb. But then I stop to think about it and prefer to go line up line and precept upon precept with parenting. I'm glad I have to teach my daughter how to eat with a fork before I have to teach her about modesty or choosing the right. It makes parenting so much more manageable!

    And it's also a huge strength to my testimony of the reality and divinity of God. He sure is smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, thanks for the insight! I think sometimes I become so immersed in all these parenting books that I lose a little perspective. I love how you said all we have to do is keep our baby alive and clean at first. That feels a little more doable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see that Lily has such a wonderful husband. Lily is the best. I still remember going to her apartment when I had a bad day and she would massage my feet as we talked about my day. She even helped me get past my writing block, well around it is more like it.

    Abe and Lily do not worry too much about being good parents, you are good people you will be good parents. It is tough and different at first but the little ones are precious and so easy to love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, you are so sweet! Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I hope we will be good parents!

    ReplyDelete