Monday, October 18, 2010

Last night I found out the truth about my husband. It scared me.

It started out with a very pleasant dinner at the house of my mother-in-law, Karin. We were chatting easily about pets and Utah restaurants when the conversation turned to the subject of babies. I inquired about Karin's experience with her pregnancies and children. "The pregnancies were fine," she said, "but afterward it was really hard." She went on to explain that two out of her three children were collicky (the chances of having a collicky baby are one in ten), and that Abe, her first child, never slept for more than twenty minutes at a time. At that point, my heart dropped.

"That first year I was insane," she said. "He would cry and cry, and finally when he went to sleep I would start to relax, but then he would wake up twenty minutes later and start crying again. I thought I had given birth to a monster!" She was so busy trying to calm Abe down that she didn't even notice she was pregnant with her second child until four months into her second pregnancy. She only noticed she was pregnant when a neighbor helpfully pointed out that she looked pregnant and insisted she take a test. When she went to the doctor's, she discovered she'd already sailed through the first trimester and had less than six months to go before launch.

The good news is, her second baby, Jere, was a breeze. He obviously didn't cause much trouble in utero, and, in the words of Abe's youngest brother, David, Jere was "an angel" ex-utero as well. That settles it, I thought. If we have a boy, we're going to find a way to fit "Jeremiah" into his name. I am not interested in spending a year sleeping a mere twenty minutes at a time, so hopefully our baby will disregard the fussy-baby genes he inherited from his father and opt to live up to his name instead.

When I accused Abe of being a bad baby later that night, he had nothing to say for himself. "Hey, I've been a stress case since the minute I left the womb," he said. "I was probably freaked out at the lack of order in the universe and missed my warm amniotic sac. I've never done well with change, so I'm sure I was freaked out by earth life." That's true. Abe loves order and is slightly obsessed with creating systems to organize his world. Recently he took a practice GRE, and one of the passages he encountered was about how Greeks are pained by chaos and have a well-documented obsession with imposing systems of order on the universe. (That's why they made so many mathematical discoveries.) Darais is a Greek name (Abe's grandfather immigrated from Greece), and when Abe read that essay, he felt like he had engaged in an enlightened form of self-discovery.

But I am scared. Up until last night, I had been praying that our children would turn out just like Abe, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I need to get more specific with God: I would like to place an order for an easy baby who sleeps for hours at a time. Any musical, artistic, or theatrical inclinations would also be a plus. Please discuss these matters soon with my future baby. Thank-you so much for your time and attention to this matter. Sincerely, one of your many freaked-out moms to be.

2 comments:

  1. So....I'm not a mother and I can't tell you things like "My kids turned out okay", or "Don't worry, your baby will be so awesome", but I can validate your feelings of anxiety and understand that babies are complete and total mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, I have the answer to your plight: Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp!

    There is a book, but we checked out the DVD from the library and it was the best $1 we have EVER spent in our lives! Actually, the information was so valuable that we would gladly go back and pay full retail for it! And that's saying something because we NEVER buy DVDs brand new!

    Here's our video using it...

    ReplyDelete